Wednesday 20 February 2013

Why I love tattoos.

It's probably time to tell you a little bit about me and the things I love.  Specifically, tattoos. 

Yes, there has been a sudden increase in tattooed people within my generation due to it 'trending', eventually this will all calm down.  I suppose that the remaining tattoo lovers, will be the ones that originally loved tattoos, appreciate the art and don't do it to be cool, but do it because they love the adornment of the body.

I have very few memories of my granddad, as he passed away when I was three. What I do remember was the scent, the musky and cigar scent that sat on his old clothes and established him as a bus driver.  He was firm, strict some would say, but he had a very soft side that he hid behind this false front.  One thing I remember that highlighted his sun damaged skin was his tattoos.  He had very generic tattoos, the old army ones that faded and looked, some would say 'a little shit' but in my opinion they were amazing.  Each faded tattoo marked a memory, marked a moment, marked a decision.  Which is why he has influenced me greatly to continue to get tattooed.  

As with most parents, over the years mine thought that my body adornment choices were rebellion and that I was trying to fit in with my youth, but they learnt in time that, this was me. I was happy in looking and being a lot different to others.  Tattoos are art.  I had always loved art therefore, why would I stop at decorating my room with and creating art, why wouldn't I get art on my body.

And so, on my 18th birthday I got my first tattoo.  A memorial tattoo for my grandma.  A three hour sitting with Kye Stacey formed the daisy that now sits so elegantly on my back and the words surrounding it read 'Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened'.  Which meant just what it said.  My grandma's nickname was Daisy, hence the use the flower, and I wanted to remember her for the good times she had brought me.


This won't be my only tattoo though, oh no.  On the 2nd March I will be getting my thigh tattoo (a 7 hour sitting, eeek) and I intend to post this on my blog after I have it done.  So keep your ears open and I won't reveal any details, so it can be a surprise to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment